Appin is a town in the Macarthur Region of New
South Wales, Australia in Wollondilly Shire. It is
situated about 16 kilometres south of
Campbelltown and 35 kilometres north west of
Wollongong. On Census Night 2006, Appin had
a population of 1,756 people.
The Wollondilly Mobile Library visits the
township weekly. Appin has a Playgroup; a
Mobile PreSchool; a Community Hall, two
sportsgrounds, and an off-leash area for
companion animals near Wonson Oval. The
Appin Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade (now known
as the Appin Rural Fire Service) was formed in
1944; Joe D'Arcy was its first Captain. The current Fire Shed was opened in 2002.
The coal mines continue to be a major
employer. Inghams Enterprises operate several
factory farms. An industrial area has been
established to the south of Appin. Here also is
the Macarthur Water Treatment Plant.
Completed in 1995, which supplies the Camden,
Campbelltown and Wollondilly areas